Cryotherapy also called cold therapy is a process where the human body is exposed to extremely cold temperatures via nitrogen gas for a scheduled period. This treatment is beneficial for reducing general inflammation and fat loss, some parts of the body may need more attention due to acute pain issues. In such situations, Local cryotherapy is useful to get quick results for treating the affected areas. Different from Whole Body Cryotherapy, this can be employed to hit precise areas of the body and providing these benefits locally. It is treated for reducing inflammation, cellulite reduction, athletic, and surgery pain recoveries in acute pain areas, at trusted centers like Coeur Cryo!
What is local cryotherapy? Does it work?
- Localized Cryotherapy makes use of identical nitrogen gas but the emphases are only on a particular area of the body instead of the whole body. This procedure can be employed to target many areas of the body that is suffering from acute pain, inflammation, and is sore/stiff.
- A Localized Cryotherapy session lasts only for 5 to 10 minutes which is very less than the old-styled icing technique used to treat acute pains. Target areas are checked for temperature before the procedure and continuously administered throughout the treatment. This makes sure that the target area is taken to the exact healing temperature.
- Localized cold air treatments are taken to temperatures of -140°+ to without any issues. The therapists will be constantly supervising the skin temperature and keep communicating with the patient. It will ensure optimal comfort during the whole treatment process.
- Due to this treatment, blood vessels narrow down that reduces inflammation and swelling in the target area with the flushing the tissue of waste and fluid. Once the body begins to warm up, the affected area gets back the recovering flow of blood which helps is a high range of motion. This is a very useful method that provides much quicker results and can give instant relief to swollen tissues, painful joints, and muscle tremors.
- This treatment can be done directly on the affected areas for reducing inflammation and acute pain issues. Any part of the body can be given this procedure externally like the lower back, upper back, neck, shoulder, wrist, elbow, hip, ankle, knee, and heels. They have also proved to be useful to decrease the issue of acne, scars, psoriasis, eczema, etc. Both Localised Cryotherapy and Whole-Body Cryotherapy are combined to get optimal results for many issues.
Benefits of Local Cryotherapy:
- Quick Flushing of the fluid and waste tissues
- Decreases inflammation
- Enhanced range of motion
- Return of regenerative blood supply in a huge proportion.
Detailed benefits of localized Cryotherapy:
Better than whole body cryotherapy to cure acute pain quickly:
The impact of this local cryotherapy is different from that of Whole-Body Cryotherapy (WBC) in many ways for a human body. WBC provides oxygen and nutrients to the blood but localized cryotherapy will push the blood away from the inflamed or injured part of the body. This process happens at a particular therapeutic temperature and the blood will later get nutrients back to the target area stimulating recovery.
- The traditional external method to treat acute pain was using an ice pack. But with localized cryotherapy, there are many additional benefits.
- There is very little pain in this treatment as it only exposes the skin to a constant therapeutic temperature instead of employing moisture. Ice therapy has no provision to have a constant and useful temperature.
- Ice packs are very slow to send signals to the brain which later feels the delayed freezing effect to send the blood to the target area to warm it up. This warming effort has the maximum chance of reducing inflammatory progression. Due to this, it results in delaying or eliminating the lactic acid build up in the tissue.
- One major benefit of local cryotherapy, when compared to ice packs, is the once the therapy is completed, the target area can be flexed immediately. With ice packs, the target area will be stiff and numb to a point until it gets warmed up.
Super beneficial for Athletes:
- Sportspersons and people who involve in intense physical activities and active routines are likely to experience musculoskeletal sports injuries. This could be due to unpredicted accidents, neglected use of sports equipment’s and jumping to direct work sets without warm-ups and stretchings.
- Apart from aiding athletes to recover from injuries, those who require surgeries may also be benefited from this treatment. It may not have a direct impact on the inflammation will aid in the curing process as the individual will experience less pain and more easy, flexible movements.
- It also has an impact on decreasing the threshold of nerve endings which in turn helps is reduced muscle tremors. This could be more beneficial when employed together with stretching exercises. Doing regular rehabilitation exercises post local cryotherapy treatments has proven to give more strength.
Headaches and allergies:
Other than these uses of reducing acute pain issues and skin rejuvenation, cryotherapy has provided positive results in people suffering from migraine issues. Since the local cryotherapy provides the option to treat the different nerves from the spinal cord and brain, migraine pain issues are decreases immediately. People who are suffering from sinus issues due to certain kinds of allergies could also see much benefit from these treatments. It is possible to work on the sinus zone and reduce the inflammatory response in the cavity to have a direct impact on allergic reactions.
Local Cryotherapy is the safest, quickest, and smoothest way to promote recovery in the body which is prone to stiffness or soreness. You could easily opt for this type of treatment if you are suffering from chronic acute pain and want to ease your pain or swelling and promote healing of wounds. But be firm to take this treatment at a reliable and expert center like Coeur Cryo of Coeur d'Alene!